This activity works in the same way as the last activity,
except this activity focuses on being partners within marriage. Use a five-point scale to rate yourself on
each of the items in the activity with five equals almost always, four equals
usually, three equals sometimes, two equals seldom, and one equals almost never. You will also notice that the items have been
divided into subareas of the partner relationship. Please note that being parents is part of
the partnership but is not discussed here, since that aspect of the partnership
has been covered in detail earlier.
Once you have finished, add together your ratings for all
partnership items and divide by the total number of statements. This will give you a partnership rating. The same technique can be used for developing
a rating within each subsection of the partnership items below. The goal is to maintain a score of 4.0 or
higher for all partnership items and within each partnership area. When problems develop, coming back to this
activity will be a useful way of keying in on the problem points. Try to get your partnership rating up to 4.0
or higher and keep it there for two or three months as a way of positively
responding to the problem points.
1. I keep my bills under control.
2. I effectively manage my money.
3. I avoid unnecessary financial difficulties or
4. I have and follow a budget.
5. I am satisfied with the material possessions I have.
6. I involve my spouse in major financial decisions.
7. I understand and take care of my financial rights and
8. I deal effectively with the financial difficulties that
arise from time to time.
9. I contribute my fair share to the financial dimension of
10. I am careful not to place too much or too little
emphasis on financial matters.
11. I understand and am sensitive to what my spouse wants
12. I am clear about what I want for myself outside of my
13. I understand and respond to the special ways my spouse
wants me to show love and caring.
14. I understand how to be and am an active and involved
participant in our marriage.
15. I maintain healthy relationships and involvements with
friends and relatives including ex-relatives as appropriate.
16. I relate comfortably and effectively to my